Thursday, November 22, 2007

I just want to preface this entry with a WARNING!!! This entry is probably too long and may bore you. It may be slightly more "mushy" than usual but it was Thanksgiving so.....


It’s been a long day. I am sitting here with the kids asleep, the house is quiet and I can hear the crickets chirping (is that right? Do crickets chirp?) Thanksgiving is almost over and it makes me sad. I love this holiday and it always seems to pass too quickly.

I love taking a day to REMEMBER what I am thankful for. I always tell my Young Women that one of my favorite words used throughout the Book of Mormon is REMEMBER. I know that I am so quick to forget my blessings and so quick to memorize my trials. REMEMBERING is what this day is about for me.

I Remember that I have been blessed with my faith. The best gift I have. I Remember that I found a companion who is my example and best friend. I Remember my family (or families I should say) those I was born with, those I adopted later, and those I married into. This was a sad year being so far from all of our family and it just makes me love them more. I Remember, and as I Remember I smile, that a few feet away two little boys lay sleeping.

Those little guys are it for me. They inspire me to be better and more for them each day. I always ask Ethan, “Why do you think Heavenly Father sent me the two best little boys he had? I must have done something very good to have gotten you.” And it’s true. I Remember this new house that I don’t deserve and the earthly things I take for granted. I Remember this beautiful Earth that I didn’t appreciate nearly enough until I had Ethan. He loves nature and is amazed daily by something as simple as a bright red bush, a cloud that looks sad, or a rock in the shape of a motorcycle. I Remember my friends and feel sad that I don’t see some of them enough and grateful that I get to see some of them more (they might say too much.) I Remember my country and my healthy body. I Remember Handel’s “The Messiah” (I am in that choir and every time I sing it I am more grateful for it. It is singing my testimony of Christ.) I Remember the peace and happiness that this gospel brings me and feel so in debt to my Heavenly Father.

I love this Holiday. I need to sit down and do this more often. I can’t wait for it to come again next year!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The boys look so lovely and peaceful, you are a wonderful mother and a really lovely daughter.I am greatful for you...have a lovely Holiday...

lynsey said...

you're inspiring! that picture of ethan & ty melts my heart. thanks for writing such a great blog, it gave me goose bumps. and it's 65 degrees today so it's not the weather.