Monday, August 25, 2008

Whew! We did it and I mean WE...I think this day was a big accomplishment for both of us. My baby started school and I only teared up twice. I had my big breakdown last night...I started to get that " school starts tomorrow stomachache" you know the one you always got the night before school started when you were little... well that hit me last night and I felt like I was 5 again, sick with worry over going to school. Except this time I'm 25 and it's worse. I had a big cry and bemoaned the troubles of children growing up and then it was over.
Today went really well. We both had the jitters but he did really good. He didn't get a snack with the rest of his class because he was too afraid to stand close enough to his teacher to get it and he froze like a deer in headlights on the stairs into his classroom. He just stood there frozen staring at his shoes while all the kids filed past him...that was my first tear up. But we did it and it's such a relief!!!
Want to hear another sad story? I fell on his playground. I wasn't even wearing heels or there wasn't anything in my way. I just lost balance and fell. Luckily Ethan was in class or he would have been embarrassed for life...now I'm the only one embarrassed for life!


Wearing his "Ethan" backpack

His scared little face moments before he had to go in the classroom.

12 comments:

KMitchell said...

Congrats to both of you!!! Hayley wishes she could be with him. He will be comfortable before you know it and having a blast everyday!

SmileKatieLovesYou said...

I am so proud :) Ethan told me he was so excited on Tuesday.

Brandon and Emily said...

Ethan looks so handsome in his uniform and backpack. Congrats on making it through the first day.

Michelle said...

yeah!! great news!

lizS said...

hooray! the worst is behind you! good job! go celebrate with some chocolate double fudge brownine ice cream.

~Hartwig Family~ said...

You made it.. Congrats :-)

Rachel Holloway said...

hooray! And SO official looking!!

I can't believe you fell--I too would feel embarrassed! :) Why, oh why do these moments have to happen??

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

way to go both of you! The first day is always the hardest, but you did it!
Ethan looks so adoreable with his new backpack.

Shawn said...

You survived!! He looks so handsome in his uniform! Not at all a scrubby looking kid to me.

Kelly said...

Ethan looks so adorable on his way to school. I tripped on teh stairs in my HIGH SCHOOL!! Try that. the next four years.......
-kelly

Stacia said...

Way to go Andrea...oh, and Ethan, too. Ethan looks very 'J Crew/Lacoste-y' in his school clothes. I'm gonna give you some of your own advice: "Put [those boys] in magazines and make some big money!" They're too handsome for words.