Martha Stewart's Caramel
This is my new favorite caramel. It is delicious, very easy and quick and delicious... did I already mention that? Well, just in case I haven't - this stuff is delicious.
Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a medium saucepan, heat sugar over medium-high until melted and brown at edges, 3 minutes. With a heat-resistant spatula, pull melted sugar toward center until all sugar is melted and caramel is deep amber in color, 3 minutes more.
- Immediately whisk in butter, coarse salt, and pure vanilla extract (take care as mixture is extremely hot and will bubble).
- Whisk in heavy cream.
- Pour into a heatproof container and let cool. (To store, refrigerate, up to 3 weeks.)