Wednesday, July 27, 2011

On Being "Hot"

I was stuck in a hotel last night. 

Stuck...it sounds so ungrateful. I mean it could have been worse. I could have been stuck at home. And that people, would have been a tragedy. You would have seen our faces plastered on the newspapers:

"Mother and Two Young Sons Cook to Death in 92 Degree Home" 
They would have found us huddled together with bags of frozen peas all over us. 

You can learn a lot about yourself in time of stress. I now know what I always suspected about myself - heat brings out the rage in me.

It was time to take Ethan to scouts and we had been in this 90 degree house for a few hours and I needed to get out....NOW. Ethan, who was sweaty and lethargic from the heat was moving very slowly and I could feel my face getting redder and redder and my anger was rising. I have a vague memory of telling him that if he "didn't get his scout shirt on and get his bum in the car in 1 min that I would feed all his stuffed animals to the sharks at Sea World." Yeah, that happened. Mother of the Year. Future Therapist in training....

While stuck at the hotel and unable to sleep I ended up watching a whole lot of trashy TV. I never really watch TV. I read a lot. I watch movies on Netflix sometimes , I Tivo "Antiques Roadshow"(don't you dare judge me). And I found myself in this trance watching some show starring the Kardashians. I am not sure which it was - they do have a lot of shows now-a-days, don't they? 

I didn't want to watch it. I literally felt the brain cells melting out of my head...disappearing forever.  I really wanted to stop. But I had to know what was going to happen with the psoriasis crisis that could possible ruin her modeling career. Or the teenage birth control controversy. Or the appendicitis.

And I know I am about 12 years to late to this conversation - but does anyone else think that show is scripted?? I mean, seriously.  Why does anyone watch? ( okay, disregard my earlier paragraph about my trance like binge on Kardashian last night...) 

Then this morning while eating breakfast at the hotel the boys saw the news in the lobby. It was about some young boy who had killed someone and the death penalty was being considered. Well, what a way to start off the day. 

They boys were disturbed. I think I have done a pretty good job of sheltering them from things like this. I am not sure - until today they ever had even considered the idea that people kill each other. They have seen  Harry Potter. But that's wizards with wands and cloaks and beards and all things very very different from the world they live. And so Tyler has been asking me all day about jail and who goes there. Murder and who does it? The death penalty and if you can get it for pouring milk in some one's new purse (which made me rush back and check the interior of my very favorite new purse...) 

They are 8 and 6....it won't be much longer till the innocence is over. Its really sad. I love that they think the world is "fun" and all people are "nice." Everyone is a future friend and trust is something you give to all....But after today's news I could see the slight change. I saw Ethan lock our hotel door when we got back in.

We are home now...waiting for the AC repairman to come and save the day. I am hopeful that we'll have AC tonight...because that one night in a hotel was too educational!

PS. Kim got the psoriasis figured out and her modeling career is a GO. Whew! That was a close one.

3 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

I'm so sorry. Heat does the same thing to me. It's also a good thing that we don't have regular television, because I think that I would melt my brain cells by watching idiotic dramas, too. Especially when tired. Now, I know that you think that you're really behind the times, wanting to have a conversation about the Kardashians and all . . . but I don't even know WHO the Kardashians ARE! :) Other than seeing their faces on magazine covers, I don't know a thing about them. :)

Good luck with the A/C. I can't imagine summer in AZ with no A/C. :)

LB McPherson said...

I stinkin love you!! You are simply hilarious.

Count me right there with you on the heat rage thing. Being stuck in the heat makes me an absolute monster!!

TRAVEL said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.